I know, I’m getting too old to be so excited about my birthday, especially when my digits are rounding up to a scary number. (When the kids ask me how old I am, I give them a math problem. Like, “I started teaching in 1989 and I was 23.” or “The tens place and ones place of my age today add up to nine. Next week they’ll add up to ten.”) But I am, and I’m planning a party where EVERYTHING will be from Pinterest. This means a lot of work this week, plus I need to keep the house up, and there’s a lot going on, so I’m taking Wednesday off. I wanted to take Friday off, but I’m only going to have my Friday classes 4 more times! This week, then three times in May. I thought about taking Thursday off, since my Thursday classes are so far ahead, and I could maybe get more food prep done, but I’m in charge of handing out tutoring snacks on Thursdays, and also, my last class on Wednesday makes me nuts. So.
1) BIG grocery trip. BIG. The store was closed last Sunday so we have to restock our normal stuff, and buy stuff for the party. I’ll probably have to run by another time for fruits and veggies, though.
2) Mail taxes. I’ve never been this late, but then, I’ve never had to pay this much!
3) Dentist. Again. Yeah.
4) A school concert. Not put on by me, thank goodness, but I recruited one of my students to be in a community choir and I need to go watch her, since she was the only kid from my school who signed up and I feel bad about that. The worst thing–I come all the way across town to go to the dentist, then have to go all the way back for the concert. Maybe I should postpone the dental appointment….
5) Dinner with Cindi and Robert Friday night so we can celebrate my birthday.
6) Arts and crafts show on Saturday. I’m trying to beg off, because, well, I need to COOK. But part of me wants to go. Of course. It will be hot and crowded.
7) Cook. I’m making flautas and tacos, corn salad and potato salad, cupcakes, ice cream bowls and jalapeño appetizers. I’m baking sugar cookies and decorating Nutter Butters to look like flip-flops. See why I need a day off?
8) Keep up house. I fell a little behind, but I should catch up.
9) Write? I really hope so!
Think I’ll make it?